ANNOUNCE: gob2 2.0.7 the "Has it been so long?" release

From: George <jirka_at_5z.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:57:38 -0800

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

New and improved, now 50% more crack then before. Actually it's just about
the same amount of crack, but better quality crack. A couple of things
fixed, a couple of things we warn about. You can now use INT64/UINT64,
and it all works more prettily on new glib and with new automake and
with IBM's C compiler apparently. Is "prettily" a word?

Did you notice that GOB announcements are not as silly as say the gdm2
announcements? I think I'm just always in a much more silly mood when
releasing gdm (that should make you scared shouldn't it?). Does it mean
that gob is just a more serious project? Yes. It looks more prettily
too (I said it already, so even if it isn't a real word I might as well keep
using it anyway).

So what is this gob thing? Well besides being the cure for cancer, it also
generates GObjects (or GTK+ objects). GOB2 is a replacement for the version
1 GOB, that was for GTK+ 1.x mostly. GOB2 can handle pretty much most of
the GObject features. At least most of the ones that anyone will ever use.
It only requires GLib 2.0 and can generate arbitrary GObjects. You can have
both versions installed at the same time if you wish, so that you don't have
to port all your gob files to gob2 for now, but you really should as gob2 is
nicer and all that kind of stuff.

Here are the news in 2.0.7 (gob2):

        * Add support for INT64 and UINT64 types for signals and properties
          (Nicolas Brugier)
        * Exit with error when BOXED or FLAGS are used as arguments for a
          signal, that doesn't work anyway
        * Warn classwide members have destructors since those never get called
          (we only make static classes so it doesn't make sense anyway)
        * Fix --exit-on-warn
        * Don't use deprecated glib functions (Kjartan, me)
        * Fix compilation on IBMs C compiler (Albert Chin-A-Young)
        * gob2.m4 fixes for new automake (Tomasz Kloczko)
        * Couple of minor fixes
        * Couple of fixes to the documentation

ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/gob/
ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/gob/RPMS/
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gob2/2.0/
http://www.5z.com/jirka/gob.html
(Note the gnome.org site may not have gob for a little bit, until
 I get in at least)

Note: RPMS are built on RH9, so you success on other distros or versions
of redhat may vary.

Have fun,

George

--