Re: Genuis & symbolic calculus

From: Micah Yoder <LYoder_at_cyberis.net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 00:21:48 -0700

George wrote:

> I cc'd this message to the genius-list as well, are you subscribed? (send
> mail to minimalist_at_5z.com with "subscribe genius-list" in the subject to do
> that)

Done

> On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 06:08:53PM -0700, Micah Yoder wrote:
> > I'll explain more as needed - please let me know if you're interested!
>
> I'm definately interested.
>
> However I think it would have to be changed to work in Genius:
>
> 1) Genius is C and I'd like to keep it C

Not possible. :-( It's heavily dependent on polymorphism, a feature of
object oriented programming. Of course, it *might* be possible to hack
something up in C (GTK+ does it) but that's rather ugly IMHO. An object
oriented design deserves an object oriented language.

It *is* possible to mix C and C++ in the same program. Is that
acceptable? I think we could make it work.

> 2) In genius the input would be a tree with the expression and the algorithm
> would have to output such a tree back. I would like to have the symbolic

Yeah, that would be no problem.

 math
> done with data files/tables, so that you could extend what the symbolic
> evaluator does without having to write additional code. However I haven't
> thought about symbolic math enough yet:)

I don't know how that would fit in. Should be doable though. I was
actually thinking something like that could be used to implement
integration, which really can't be done in my OOP model.

> I'm sure the althorithms that you are using would be highly helpful though!

Hopefully so.

Later!
Micah