Re: [genius-list] Quirks and buglist for 0.4.6 (with a patch even :)

From: George <jirka_at_5z.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:48:18 -0700

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 01:54:00AM -0400, Squeak wrote:
> Quibble: MACROS make code harder to understand, inline functions are
> debuggable and are just as fast in any recent (post 95) gcc. If a
> commercial compiler can't keep up with gcc, you don't need to support it.
> To find one bug in genius-0.4.2 i know i had to debug the source code
> after running it thru the pre processor so i could see which out of 10
> lines of code actually caused a segfault. :) Its your code though, so
> write it how you will. :)

I do appreaciate patches though if you think my code is ugly :) Also if you
want to directly code genius (of course you'd have to ask me about major
changes :), Just ask for a gnome cvs account.

Anyway, that code is the original code where all I was trying to do was
a simple calculator to replace bc on the GNOME desktop.

I'm actually right now contemplating how to rewrite the core correctly.
I mean the execution code only. I want to do an iterative/stack based
execution engine so that high recursion still works (which might slow
down the execution a bit, but it would allow much deeper recursion)

Also I want to make creation of new types much much easier, such as
just adding things to some sort of table. This would make it possible
to write plugins that add completely new types. Plus the core needs
to have much easier mechanisms on using primitives on arbitrary ETree
pointers.

One thing I would like to stress is that I would like to rewrite the core in
increments and I want the code to keep working all throughout.

Also I'm highly contemplating dumping mpwrap and using the CLN library, which
would make things easier as we would no longer need to maintain as much stuff
in genius. Only drawback is that it is C++, but oh well, I will write
wrappers around it to keep the core C clean.

George

--
George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: