ANNOUNCE: GENIUS 0.6.1 the "So is GRH proven or isn't it?" release

From: George <jirka_at_5z.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:16:19 -0700

To find out what Genius is, skip a few paragraphs down, or go to
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Did I brag somewhere already that my qual exams are over? Yes they are.
Now I have all this free time that I'm spending doing completely useless
things. Well I did also manage to get some genius work done too. I've
actually done bits here and there on genius over the past quarter, so here
is the result.

In any case, Genius is one of the oldest GNOME projects, it has been the
original GNOME calculator before I got wild ideas about it doing absolutely
everything. It is programmable has a powerful language and handles many fun
features including matlab like support for matrices. It requires GNOME2 (at
least glib2 if you don't want a GUI) and a recent enough gmp library.
However you can still use the command line version if you prefer non-gui
interface.

There is still a lot of work required to make this all nice, mostly it needs
to have the function library improved and verified to be correct and
documentation needs to be written (the complete help system is not yet in
place). Feel free to help out :)

Here are the news in 0.6.1:

* On undefined identifier error, genius gives you close suggestions
* Black on white mode for the console for those that can't see white
  on black so well.
* More UTF-8 cleanup so other languages shoulkd work now
* More fun with font sizes and try to normally deduce the font size for the
  console from the theme font size on startup. Also don't write the font
  as a preference until it's explicitly set
* Accept file drops and open those files
* Use gnome-vfs for opening and saving files (not for load and run yet)
* Mime stuff so that you can open .gel files from nautilus
* Somewhat nicer display of real fractions
* New functions: cis
* The functions promised in 0.6.0 weren't actually added, this affects:
  Argument, arg, Arg, MoebiusDiskMapping, MoebiusMapping,
  MoebiusMappingInftyToOne, MoebiusMappingInftyToZero,
  MoebiusMappingInftyToInfty.
* When we complain about uninitialized functions/variables, give suggestions
* Fix "number <=> string"
* Some code cleanup
* MacOSX install instructions in INSTALL.MacOSX (Linc Davis)
* Other minor fixes
* Translation updates (Gustavo Maciel Dias Vieira, Raphael Higino,
  Jordi Mallach, Xavier Conde Rueda, Miloslav Trmac, Vincent van Adrighem,
  Tino Meinen, Adam Weinberger, Gareth Owen, Gustavo Noronha Silva)

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/genius/0.6/
ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/genius/
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Note that making RPMS should be simple with rpmbuild -ta <tarball>, you
should also get the updated GMP RPM which has MPFR enabled since that's
a lot better then internal FP routines of genius. RPM for that is on
the 5z site. Apparently Fedora might have MPFR at some point enabled in
GMP (I haven't checked yet, you can check by looking for libmpfr).

Also note that the RPM at the 5z site is built without GtkSourceView and so
there is no syntax highlighting and other such good stuff. It is also built
without GTK+ 2.4 since I haven't yet upgraded to fedora so it doesn't use the
new fileselector either. If you install GtkSourceView then rebuild the RPM
and you'll get much nicer editting capability. I would recommend rebuilding
on fedora since that has all that genius wants and needs.

Have fun,

George

--
George <jirka_at_5z.com>
   A physical understanding is a completely unmathematical, imprecise, and