ANNOUNCE: GENIUS 0.7.6 the "Damn you complex matrix gaussian elimination" release

From: George <jirka_at_5z.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:42:26 -0700

To find out what Genius is, skip a few paragraphs down, or go to
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Given that now with the new baby I have so much time to work on GNOME and my
research I of course found errors in genius again while running different
tests. By the fact that these errors were present for over a year in genius
and no one spoke up I'll assume one of three possibilities either 1) not many
people run genius 2) nobody does gaussian elimination on complex matrices 3)
evil alien abductors killed everyone who found the error to keep me in the
dark. I'm thinking the last one is the most probable one, given how evil
those aliens are. Especially the illegal ones.

While I was there I also fixed some other minor things, updated the docs and
added some functions.

In any case, Genius is one of the oldest GNOME projects, it has been the
original GNOME calculator before I got wild ideas about it doing absolutely
everything. It is programmable has a powerful language and handles many fun
features including matlab like support for matrices. It requires GNOME2 (at
least glib2 if you don't want a GUI) and a recent enough gmp library.
However you can still use the command line version if you prefer non-gui
interface.

Here are the news in 0.7.6:

* Add QuadraticFormula, CubicFormula, PolynomialRoots, CommutationMatrix,
  ToeplitzMatrix, MakeVector, RiemannZeta, GammaFunction
* Add --exec option to execute an expression from the command line
* Add chapter to the documentation on plotting and other minor updates to
  the docs
* Fix complex number handling in number of functions, particularly in
  all functions that use gaussian elimination and related routines
* Translations updated a teeny bit (Michele Petrecca, me)

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/genius/0.7/
ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/genius/
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Note that a recent MPFR is normally included in genius and it is build as a
private static library, so you don't need to install it separately, though
I'd recommend using 2.2.0 and building against it as a shared library.

I no longer run Fedora, but Ubuntu. So no more RPMS, but you should be able
to build RPMS with rpmbuild -ta <tarball>. I don't have any DEBs for genius
because I'm lazy I suppose.

Have fun,

George

--
George <jirka_at_5z.com>
   You have the right to food money providing of course you don't mind a little