ANNOUNCE: GENIUS 1.0.12 the "Recently used" release

From: Jiri Lebl <jiri.lebl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:23:57 -0800

Genius is a general purpose calculator with many advanced capabilities.
To find out more go to:
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Some updates, mostly fixes. Now we have recently used files which is pretty
useful when I use genius in a classroom. I've also realized that
CrossProduct was broken while teaching (actually during preparation so
it was not an embarrassing lecture, that happened a few days later when
I was using wxMaxima which refused to run because of network troubles).

In any case, Genius is one of the oldest GNOME projects, it has been the
original GNOME calculator before I got wild ideas about it doing absolutely
everything. It is programmable, has a powerful language and handles many fun
features including support for matrices, rational numbers, and nice 2D and 3D
plotting. The GUI version requires GNOME2 (at least glib2 if you don't want
a GUI) a recent enough GMP library and the MPFR library. You can still use
the command line version if you prefer non-gui interface.

Here are the news in 1.0.12:

* Recently used files menu
* Only run ps2epsi on eps output if selected, it can be very slow and
  I've realized it's not commonly needed
* Fix handling of comment at the end of file when running from the IDE
* Fix handling of newlines in the lexer
* Fix CrossProduct
* Some self tests were missing in the distro (Matthias Drochner)
* Fix 64 bit build to be warning free
* Fix buld on Make 3.82 (Dominique Leuenberger)
* Updated translations (Jorge Gonzales, Matej Urbancic, Marek Cernocky,
  Petr Kovar)

* For some of the changes the author (Jiri) was partially supported by
  NSF grant DMS 0900885 and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

http://download.gnome.org/sources/genius/1.0/
ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/genius/
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Genius is in Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, GARNOME and probably other distribution
repositories, so check those. Usually you wan to install two packages:
genius and gnome-genius (perhaps also gnome-common on some distros). Of
course it will be a little bit before this version hits those servers ...

Have fun,

Jiri

--
Jiri (George) Lebl, http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~jlebl/ or http://www.jirka.org/